Monday, May 25, 2015

Airing Out A Dirty Laundry (Room)

Airing Out A Dirty Laundry (Room)


Over the last 9 years of our marriage, my husband and I have moved a few times.  We've had some fairly nice (tiny) apartments and most recently, lived in a sweet little farm house.  However, this is my first time EVER having an actual laundry room!  It really was exciting to have a designated room where I could just shut the door and guests didn't have to see all my dirty laundry!

To get an inspiration I went to my favorite place to get paint, Sherwin Williams. I know, a lot of people think that getting paint from the big box stores is the cheapest route to go, but I have found that cheap paint means you'll need to paint again in a very short time frame.  Every time I have purchased paint from Sherwin Williams, it has always been exceptional paint, scrubbable, and can make any room look great.

I choose "Honest Blue" for the wall color, and picked out a beautiful large floral print wallpaper for a focus wall.  I would have loved to do more than one wall with this awesome wallpaper, but as I said before, I am a teacher and have a teacher's budget!





















The accessories that I used to decorate were mostly freebies.  The mirror was given to me from my aunt.  It was gold, but I dry-brushed it the same white as the trim.  The blue hat rack on the wall is a special little piece I got from a local antique shop.  It is made out of a plank of bead board.  The rest of my accessories were things that I had around the house.  They were are just given a new home in this wonderful room.




Many of you don't know this, but my laundry room also doubles as my closet.  Renovations have yet to begin on the master bedroom so I needed a space to put my clothes.  I designed this room with the intentions that when it is no longer needed as a closet space, it will be an exceptional storage place.

This room is a spacious 8 feet by 10 feet with a large window that lets in the morning sun.  I kept the washer/dryer water lines and venting in the same location to cut down on restoration costs, had a professional roofer repair the leak that caused the ceiling to fall, and then replaced the ceiling tiles that had fallen with new ones.







All of the moldings needed paint.  The trim at the top was dark brown, so I painted them white to coordinate with the baseboard moldings.

My husband helped me install an 8 foot long wire closet shelf and TADA! A fresh and beautiful laundry room!

Total cost of this laundry room renovation:  $115
(Cost of the roofer was not included in this price)





Side by Side of the before and after


    




1 comment: